25 Apr 2010

Les Marchés au Puces - { The Market of the Fleas }


The long wispy tendrils of winter are slowly starting to creep in. Mornings are just that little bit chillier, having slippers on all day doesn't seem quite so slovenly, and there's talk of flannelette sheets (we don't need them yet by any stretch of the imagination...but oh, we do like to talk about them lovingly). Our morning play outside now stretches closer to morning tea as the shade in the yard lingers longer. Only just a few short months ago we would be pushed back inside much earlier as the heat of the sun started to bite our skin. Thongs have now been replaced by little wee joggers....boots are in the cupboard all ready. A cardie is called for on most mornings.



Now if my poppet has to wait for her Mumma to finish the little Debbie Bliss cardigan she is likely to get hypothermia on winter mornings or alternatively, be toasty snug at her Year 12 formal! Yes, I am still plugging away but for me it is definitely not a quick craft. I'm thoroughly enjoying it but poor Bijou needs something tout de suite. A chance thrift-a-thon with my beloved Mum reaped perfect knitted cardigans for crisp mornings. I am particularly in love with the cream crocheted beauty. Not sure if this is because it is lovely or because it is crocheted...oh to be able to crochet...sigh!



Delicate glass buttons were also discovered....yes, I squealed!! Are you one of those mad souls that could play with buttons for hours? Sort them into sets, sort them into colours, run your fingers through the whole container....turn your head on its side as you carefully examine each one as if it were a rare artifact....smile. Yes, I thought you were.



Little blossoms and lambies...oh my!

For more treasure hunting please pop over to Sophie's delightful blog .

And to all those service men and women past and present who have showed great courage and sacrifice in order to keep this great land free we thank you. Lest we forget.








28 comments:

  1. I hear your squeal - those buttons are delightful! I like the cream crochet cardie too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cradigans are lovely! I love buttons (as you know;) and those buttons are really sweet! Great finds!

    Have a great Anzac day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cardies look like new!
    And i love all of the buttons and beads - they are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those cardigans could well be brand new, i was too scared to put my children in ones like that as a) all my children were born in the tropics & didn't need the extra warmth, b) i grew up with a sister who was obsessed with itchy wool & rashes & c) on top of washing nappise, i wasn't looking for any extra hand washing in the laundry!! Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh wow what super finds!! glass buttons - so pretty!! and those little cardis are just wonderful, i particularly like that cute little pale pink cropped one!

    good luck on getting your one finished before winter is over!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what precious little cardie :)

    i squeeled too when i saw your amazing buttons, those sweet little lambies are ssoo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very sweet cardi's. I think you can find the most beautifully made knits at the oppy. All those grannies would love to know they are being worn & adored!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What gorgeous creations! And the buttons are divine!! xo m.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a sweet lot of things you found. Love those buttons, especially the lambs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my those make me want to have another baby...I'm addicted to sweaters but those buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would have been squealing too! What dear little buttons, and yes, I love to play with buttons too. Hope you are having a happy weekend xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. oooohhh those buttons are lovely!! I covet my button collection like it is precious jewels. I also dream of one day learning to crochet, but I'm not sure I have the patience or concentration levels required.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great buttons! Infact, absoloutely gorgeous buttons! I too, am a button savant. I become mesmerised by them running through my fingers. But I have never seen any 'round here like your glass ones. Lovely. Nick

    ReplyDelete
  14. You find the best things - I think that I have said that every week so far - I really need to find out where some of these markets are - I did sourse one in a few weeks- will let you know. Are you up for a meet next week?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know exactly what you mean about the buttons. My husband always teases me that he could leave me in a room with a box of buttons for hours and I would be totally distracted. xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your finds! Those cardi's are gorgeous! And I think I would have been squealing with those buttons, but I would have remained very composed on the outside!

    ReplyDelete
  17. its all just a little bit jolie those photos and words. :) glad to have found yout blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. the cardies are too cute!!!!!

    here's a couple of good link's for crocheting you might like?!?!?!?!

    http://crochet.about.com/

    http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/

    and if you have time here's my finds this week!!!!!!

    http://misstracianderson.blogspot.com/2010/04/good-oll-rummage.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Steph - Thanks for visiting my blog!! Well done with the cardies!!! Those buttons are just so sweet! Can't wait to see what you do with them!

    Come back and visit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What lovely cardigans! I never manage to find anything like that. The buttons are a great find too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous cardigans and I LOVE the buttons. I totally understand treating buttons like a rare artifact... of course they are!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those cardigans are gorgeous! I love cardigans, either for me or for my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  23. We did, Steph and thanks for your wishes. I do love it that my Dad is a part of their lives even though he is not physically with them. I just know how he would delight in them, also. How was your weekend with your little poppet? It looks like you've had a very successful haul. Molly has been wearing a jumper my Grandma crotcheted for me. I can't believe people give such beautiful little cardies away.

    Lisa. x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Steph - I have just discovered your blog, though have seen your name on a few that I follow - this is a really beautiful looking blog. I read your 'about' and it made me smile, it's so beautifully written. Great flea market finds too - I try not to squeal out loud when I find treasures in case the price goes up :-) Joanna x

    ReplyDelete
  25. i could just about sort anything that gets under my hands... librarian at heart, really. so occupied with it at times i forget i was actually trying to get some work done... great buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Heavens, if I found such beautiful buttons in the oppie, I wouldn't just squeal - I would probably have some kid of seizure! The cardies are very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  27. The cardi's are so gorgeous, I'm sure your little poppet will look such a sweetie wearing them. As an absolutely rubbish knitter, take it from me, crochet is much easier and actually really enjoyable once you get the hang of all of the lingo! Give it a go! Buttons are fab too! x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Cardi's are gorgeous... Anzac day is our turning point for COLD weather here in Canberra and true to form, it is COLD and was 2 degrees overnight!!! ugh

    ReplyDelete

Your words brighten my day! Thank-you so much for joining me on my adventure. x