23 Apr 2010

Jour de Terre - { Earth Day }


Happy Belated Earth Day!! What a wonderful day to celebrate this phenomenal planet and come together as one in the fight that has begun to save her.

Lately, I have been pondering the world that my baby girl will grow up in and the knowledge she will need to endeavour to save it. As an ex teacher (shouldn't really say "ex" for the art never dies in one) I'm ashamed to have had the same thoughts that most parents I'm sure have had, "They'll learn that at school." And yes, she will but the learning which happens in the home is by far the stronger.

We have always lived rather "greenly" but from now on we will lead by example and rather than contentedly sitting back resting on our laurels safe in the assumption that this next generation will fix everything....we will empower her with the tools to do her darnedest to do so. Under my kindred spirits over on the right I have made a list of my goals for living a more eco friendly life. Those with hearts next to them are already chugging along nicely. The rest are to be tackled over the coming weeks and months. I'd love you to join me on my little quest!

Please raise your glasses and be upstanding to toast this amazing whirling ball of rock and water and gas. May her rivers always run, may her seas be full of life, may her air be clean and pure, may her forests grow strong and deep...may her people come to learn the many errors of their ways....may she forgive them!


8 comments:

  1. Happy belated Earth Day! Good Luck with your green goals! xo m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm liking your "earth loving goals", I've been a little more conscious of what's been going on around our house lately....now I have a few more things to think about and act upon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a lovely post, I love your ending!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) good luck with your goals - I bought a cool thingthe other week to use instead of glad wrap - remind e to show you next time you re over:)

    We use cloth nappie and clothwipes hee - I picked up a whole pile of white washers when I had Amelia and they are still going strong (we went with white as I could soak and bleach them if required and Tim used to just reach for anything for a nasty nappy - so bumbs were white and face and hands had crochet edges.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely post Steph! and one that filled me with the guilts, because we try to be as green as we can be here at our place, but I just went sailing through Earth Day without any nod in Gaia's direction! oops. :(
    Love your green goals and I'll be right behind you in that little quest! :)
    p.s. When you get to see Kylie's "cool thing", I'd love to hear about it on here. Maybe I should pop over to her blog and ask her to put a pic of it up?!
    Thanks for the visit and leaving such a sweet comment about my apples.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good post Steph,
    I have just finished reading Tim Flannery's 'Now or Never' and while my household try hard to be as green as we can,
    I am so over whelmed with our beautiful planets dire situation.
    I might well join you on your quest!
    Michele

    ReplyDelete

Your words brighten my day! Thank-you so much for joining me on my adventure. x