19 Apr 2010

Brownies á la Lavande - { Lavender Brownies }

Lavender has the most amazing properties. It is antiseptic and antibacterial so is a perfect chemical free alternative to most household scratches and scrapes. It has the ability to soothe a weary body and calm a troubled mind. But most wondrous of all is that lavender tastes exactly as it smells!! With each mouthful of a lavender infused treat I challenge you to keep the words, "Oh my goodness it's like I can smell it with my mouth!" from bubbling out.

I first tried culinary lavender in ice cream in a gorgeous little town in France called Vitré. We arrived around 7:30pm to a deserted restaurant made in an old boot factory. Softies that we are, we chose this one because it was new (an utterly romantic looking), chef owned and operated and seemed to be lacking custom. Full of virtuous pride we sat down to what was one of the best meals of my life. Beautiful food, wine and service followed by a bright purple concoction that first introduced me to the magic of lavender in food. And yes, with every mouthful...."oh my goodness, it's like I can smell it with my mouth!". Upon finishing our meal and preparing to leave, "L'addition s'il vous plâit" we noticed table after table load of people arriving. Newbies to the French way of dining we were embarrassed to discover we were unfashionably early....even earlier than the purple rinse set. Rest assured by the time we reached Paris after a few months driving (and eating) our way around France, we were dining with the toffs. Sleepy, ravenous but oh so chic!

I'm feeling a wee bit stressed today. I might just need a cup of tea and another lavender brownie to calm me....it's medicinal you know! Munch, munch, munch..."Oh my goodness, it's like I can smell it with my mouth!"

9 comments:

  1. mmmm, they look delicious! My Mum makes the most divine lavender scones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Steph they look wonderful!
    i was thinking last night that I need to make some brownies as I haven't made them before.
    I may make a rosewater brownie, i'll see how it turns out.
    mmmmm, I can smell the lavender just by looking at your pics.
    hope you feel better soon

    bisou

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to stroll around Paris and eat at lovely little places, what fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, they look delicious, I hope they have worked a treat and you are feeling all calm and creative again. Smiles from me:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello there, I had no idea that you could use lavender in food! I have eaten violets and they were yummy but never knew about lavender. I think I will have to try it.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow these look and sounds so fabulous! YUM! I would love the recipe! Also just wanted to let you know you are my beautiful blog of the week, thanks so much for creating such a delightful blog.
    Sophie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love me some brownies! This looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These sweet cookies look delicious! Sure you enjoyed them, Steph! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your words brighten my day! Thank-you so much for joining me on my adventure. x