26 Apr 2010

Le Sac Á Provisions - { The Shopping Bag }


Another day...another trip to Spotlight. I don't know about you but I have a love-hate relationship with that sewing and craft mecca! They have boring crafty things I need like iron in interfacing, threads and calico but the shop itself is akin to an abyss where I often find myself lost in some sort of trance for hours on end. I seem to wander aimlessly from elastic to buttons to fabrics and back again. And much to Hubby's horror, a "just have to get cotton," trip ends with nothing but small change from a green back ($100 note to those not from Australia).


But at least today I would not have another tell tale blue and red plastic bag to prove my guilt. Today I proudly marched out with my "few" purchases tucked into my new linen shopping bag.


Using the fold-up eco bag pattern from I ♥ Patchwork by Rashida Coleman-Hale I made myself a bag for small shopping trips from some gorgeous Japanese linens from Retro Mummy .


I used a few vintage doilies to make it pretty (sorry Mel, a few less for you!) and some fabric scraps for appliqué. The best part is that with a few quick folds it transforms into a little pouch small enough to fit in your handbag without it bulging (the wipes, nappy, morning tea, water bottle...etc. do that job nicely thank-you very much). I can now tick that off my eco goals list too!

And as if it were perfectly natural to use a flowery doily bag instead of their plastic version, the girl at Spotlight even sticky taped the docket to it...just like they always do. Priceless!!









23 comments:

  1. What a super cute shopping bag!
    I know exactly what you mean about Spotlight. They put all the cotton and notions right up the back so you have to walk right through the shop to get to them (therefore stopping and picking up things you don't actually need).
    My spotlight doesn't even have plastic bags anymore. You have to bring your own or pay for one of their ugly green bags.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, gorgeous shopping bag, lovely fabrics and I agree with you re: spotlight, I avoid it like the plague (where possible).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes there is something very consuming about Spotlight! Love your little bag & the sweet doily flowers...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep I'm completely with you about that place. There's no where else and they have all the basic stuff so we keep going back. I have to admit to finding my purse a little empty after a visit there as well!

    I love the bag you've made! Great use of a doily or two. That's so funny about the receipt!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous bag!!! and yes I am with you about Spotlight, I often dread going there or want to rush in and out but you can't rush out as it takes ages to get served

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really lovely and very girlie! I totally agree with you about Spotlight - truly a love-hate relationship! Nic

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks fab Steph and I love that you have a little pocket to fold it into. I make similar ones using vintage pillowcases (a whole lot less sewing involved!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats something i've been meaning to make for ages! It looks gorgeous, and very eco friendly.
    I'm just glad Spotlight isn't just down the road from us...!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it is hilarious that she taped the docket to your bag. Great bag.

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is absolutely gorgeous Steph!!
    i like very much

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your flowery doily bag!!! well done you! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that bag!!!!super Cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just stunning! My shoppers tend to be a bit, erm, utilitarian, but they still beat the plastic freebies! It must feel good to have such an elegant bag...good for you, good for the earth!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think we must all have that love hate relationship with spotlight! I love your bag and no hard feelings about using up the doilies. I want you to keep them all and keep creating beautiful things. Loving your blog! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. He He - the sticky tape part was a classic. Yes the store we all love to hate but unfortunately need, Lincraft isn't much better. The mess in spotlight makes me twitch :-) It is even worse when I have to take my 2.5yr old ughh. Finally your bag is LOVELY!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is hilarios - only at spotlight would they not be able to look past the sticky tape and docket!

    Love the new ba -does DH know it's intent? Tim is still to work out the the brown bags lying around are from trips into TY's

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous little bag. I don't like going to the craft store because I am always with my little one and never get to browse to the extent that I want to because he gets so bored or wants to get out of the pram and touch everything. I always leave thinking, "I wish I'd got this or that..." xo m.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great bag! Yep, I'm the same with Spotlight (my husband has banned me from going there for anything other than things I REALLY need!!) ???

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous bag and ooh, yes, after scrolling through your pics I see what you mean about the furniture (love that shabby look)!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You say you can't crochet but you can certinaly sew! This bag is excellent. Ps bread recipe can be found on my blog up the top under the link titled " baking "

    ReplyDelete
  21. ah yes, Spotlight... you just seem to wander don't you? Love the bag, the doilies look fabulous Joanna x

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh beautiful, derrr I've never thought of about using little bits of the pretty floral linens!!!!!!!! you've done them proud!

    Corrie:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. love this bag this page has been bookmarked!!! x

    ReplyDelete

Your words brighten my day! Thank-you so much for joining me on my adventure. x