28 Apr 2010

Le Petit Jean Prend Le Capuchon - { Little Denim Riding Hood }


Capes are my newest obsession!! I have a few myself and they always look so theatrical. That is, in a chic "leaving through the stage door" kinda way...not a "curly moustached magician" kinda way! So with a few days to spare to complete my "something lined" project for the lovely Carolyn's 12 Months - 12 Sewing Challenges I decided to play dress ups with my own Little Denim Riding Hood. Using a yummy soft denim and some Sevenberry spots I had a play around and came up with this little reversible number. It was going to have a little rosette pinned to one side but who am I to come between a girl and her fungi fossiking!



Bijou has a real affinity with nature...a trait passed on to her from her gorgeous Daddy. Aren't genes wonderful! She not the least bit frightened of animals either. Me on the other hand am the actual person they based the saying "stop acting like a girl"on. I love nature, don't get me wrong, but as long as I can admire it from a comfortable distance.

What with Hubby being a former wildlife ranger and all, I've been privy to all manner of wildlife rescues from koalas and possums to snakes, birds and lizards. Bless his beautiful heart... he even stopped traffic once to rescue a green tree frog from the middle of the road...in the pouring rain!! So one would assume that all this "desensitisation" would make for one brave animal girl...no sir! If they get too close, block your ears...there will be screaming! I blame my brother and a very unfortunate incident with a tray of sloppy bird food and a flock of Rainbow Lorikeets and the Currumbin Bird Sanctuary. You put two and two together...I'm too scarred to talk about it.

I am trying very hard though so I don't pass any fears onto my poppet...and plus, I can't be the scaredy cat while Daddy gets to be all cool!


I'm off to try some affirmations to help prepare me for future encounters with the scaled, furred and feathered kinds as I'm sure there will come a day when poppet runs inside from the backyard yelling, "Mumma!! There's a BIG lizard and he's hurt...get a box like Daddy does and come and save him!!!

Animals are my friends...animals are my friends...animals are my friends.



18 comments:

  1. This cape is so cute! She looks very pretty in it!
    I love it and would wear one myself:) I think knitted one would look nice too! Have a lovely day! Plushka

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny! I'm with you, I'll love it from a safe distance, though I have to admit, if there's some kind of nature/animal crisis I'd like to think I could assist (note to all wildlife, keep a wide berth & maybe don't hold your breath!)...LOVE the cape, so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I thought I had the cutest little girl in the world, she is adorable. I love that age! She is ready to take on the world one step at a time!
    Oh what a great Mom you are.
    p.s. LOVE the cape

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cape is beautiful and the model is delectable. That phobia is sounding deep rooted. Good luck with the affirmations! Love to see you on Friday. I'm looking forward to it. Lisa. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cape is just gorgeous! And those are some brilliant photos, communing with nature!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cape is adorable! Remember... animals are your friends..hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  7. I looove your cape. You are so talented,you really should open your own Made It or Etsy shop! See you Friday. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful cape - very chic - with it's very 'happy' red lining.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cape is just the sweetest. I love the denim with the spotted fabric lining:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cape is lovely. She truly is red riding hood, not afraid of the big bad wolf...or snakes..or furries. ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous cape Steph, so cute on Bijou. Enjoy that little nature poppet of yours, she is a little treasure:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adorable!!! the cape and your model x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the cape...and your photos are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That cape is just wonderful, love the choice of fabrics and colours! Bijou is very lucky x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just gorgeous! So feminine and that lining is just divine! I was planning on making a cape too but settled on a dress!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a gorgeous cape! Denim and spots are just meant for each other :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. il est vraiment trop adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Your words brighten my day! Thank-you so much for joining me on my adventure. x