13 Mar 2014

sprouting


The growing of one's own fruit and vegetables has experienced somewhat of a renaissance.  Whether it be our increasing awareness of the momentous impact chemical spraying and food miles are having on the planet, or in a technological world, an opportunity to create something from nothing with our own hands. Perhaps its simply, through gentle guidancee, the discovery of how easy it really can be.  Either way, it seems most everyone is eager to carve out a little slice of their backyard, balcony or window sill to tend growing things.

Our own vegie patch is still very much in its infancy and we have a lot to learn of crop rotation, soil preparation and the most frustrating, organic pest control.  It is however, a constant source of inspiration and gets me out in the fresh air to mull over the day's blur.  But when I've let one too many seedlings dry out or stood broken hearted beside a grasshopper ravaged kale crop, I grow sprouts.

We use the method outlined by this effervescent duo  to sprout all manner of seeds including mung beans, sunflower seeds, chickpeas*  and lentils. In a bid to keep things simple and make do with what is handy, I simply use an old jar, a piece of muslin and a rubber band in lieu of a special sprouting jar. It really is such a simple way to bring the freshest of produce into your home. And the babies (and I for that matter) delight in checking them each morning.

Steph x

8 comments:

  1. Sprouting seeds is great fun, it just takes persistence and remembering to eat up the "crop" quickly. I love your little wooden bowls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've got some on the go too at the moment in jars and muslim. They look so pretty on the kitchen windowsill. It's so easy and fun to watch, isn't it? Our little veggie garden is still in it's very early stages too so it is nice to see something grow so easily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sprouting is fun, healthy and delicious. I bet your little helper loves it. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew of sprouting lentils,!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! Lentils are even more amazing than I thought. Feeling inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never tried sprouting but I've been thinking about it for awhile. I love seeing that you ate them too, it must have been really satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sprouting and activating your food is one of the best things to do - its also very yummy. I've tried sprouts made into bread and cooking, some with success - some I don't think I would try again.

    I haven't tried activated almonds yet - seeing your post I think I might have to give it a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love this idea! off to check out those links….oh the joy of discovering a new food journey. xx

    ReplyDelete

Your words brighten my day! Thank-you so much for joining me on my adventure. x