30 Apr 2012

Roast Vegie Cakes


We've gone all Nana-ish here of late and have taken to having a roast dinner each Sunday night. Sometimes it's pork with more crispy, salty crackling than one's arteries should be subjected too. Other nights it's a humble chook. We often zhoosh it up รก la Jamie Oliver by rubbing a mixture of butter, finely chopped prosciutto and fresh thyme under the skin and putting half a lemon up it's...ahem.


This week it was beef and Yorkshire puddings! Don't get me wrong, the meat was lovely and all but I think we should just cut to the chase and have "yorkies" with gravy as a meal in its entirety. Crispy outered, soft centred batter cups of gravy...what could be so bad about that?!

But there is veg. There's always oodles of roast veg. The humble spud, carrots, pumpkin, golden sweet potato...parsnips sometimes. And always leftovers. So in an effort to curb food wastage and cram as many vegies down our appreciative gullets as possible, on Mondays I make roast vegie cakes for lunch.  My Momle often made potato cakes with leftover mashed potato so faced with yet another bowl of too much roast veg I improvised.


Armed with a masher I squish them down to a chunky mush, stir in a good dollop of whole egg mayonnaise and form them into patties. They are then rolled in flour and fried gently in a pan with butter and a whisker of oil . Served hot with pumpkin seed toast, sea salt and good old tomato sauce they feel kinda treat-ey but then you remember that they're full of vegies. Oh so good!!

4 comments:

  1. Yum! Sounds delish, will have to five that a try next time:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Win, win!

    (I love a good Nana roast).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh so delicious steph!!! My kids would devour these so this is definitley going to be added to my weekly repartee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whenever I make veggie patties, they are always too moist and turn into a big scramble. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but there you go.

    I have veggie pattie envy, Steph! x

    ReplyDelete

Your words brighten my day! Thank-you so much for joining me on my adventure. x