28 Oct 2011

Roasted Tomato Relish



We love tomatoes in our house. So much so that poppet managed to consume an entire punnet of cherry tomatoes in the seat of the trolley whilst this Mumma Bear was otherwise occupied with the "joy" that is grocery shopping heavily pregnant....with a toddler...on pension day!



I house them happily on our kitchen bench smug in the knowledge that I'm squeezing every last drop of deliciousness out of them as their perfume seems to pulsate from their swollen, almost bursting skins.



This has a minor disadvantage however. Alas, whenever I heave mon petit poppet up onto the bench to help with some culinary task I only need turn my head for a whisker and her Go, Go Gadget arms have plucked a tomato from it's resting place and she's merrily chomping into it. Sprung in the act she quickly returns the attacked fruit to it's vintage plate bed and grins a tomato seedy grin at me. Seconds later though she's back at it...but with a new tomato!! It's nothing for me to reach for a tomato and find five or six with giant vampire style bites out of them.



So when faced with such a dilemma this very morn whilst concocting my favourite pregnancy brekkie du jour....avocado and tomato on toast with lime juice and sea salt... (Oh what a step up from the first trimester Kraft cheese spread AND butter piled high on a wafer thin slice of white toast brekkie!) some relish making was in order.



I had about half a kilo of tomatoes and they were cut into wedges, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper and roasted in a 160 degree oven for around an hour and a half. Their caramlised lusciousness was then plonked into a saucepan with 2 crushed garlic cloves, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar and left to bubble away on a low heat until it started to thicken.



Into some jars and titivated with some loitering old doilies and some festive-ish fabric and ribbon and this little Santa's helper (so far from little with 5 weeks til le bébé I'd  be better off impersonating Santa himself!) is feeling a tad virtuous and dare I say it...organised



But being a greedy little elf one jar did manage to pop itself open and dollop generous mounds onto spiky vintage cheese for my lunch. Ho, ho, ho!

10 comments:

  1. There is another fabulous use for a doily!!! That jar looks amazing all dressed up. It's great that tomatoes are now coming down in price so gobbling up is nice and cheap now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummo - now I know what to do with the lush, vine ripened tomatoes staring at me from the bowl on the kitchen bench.

    Best of luck with the safe arrival of le bébé!

    ReplyDelete
  3. O this looks so yummy? I craved roasted tomatoes during my first pregnancy. I used to eat them on Turkish toast with cracked pepper! Good luck for your impending arrival. Our newest bambino is 7 weeks old now and such a little blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so good.. I must try it! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I LOVE relish. I also love your doily and fabric combo on the jar! We have the same fruit stealing issues at our house, although it's apples for us. Often do I go to the fruit bowl to find small bites taken out of an apple or two!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum-o. I think I may have been drooling while reading this post.melx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummo - at least she is eating healthy helpings from the bench.

    ReplyDelete
  8. *drool* that sounds utterly delicious, will certainly be making some to gift here too now :)
    Love that your Poppet eats tomatoes like apples too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks absolutely divine....and i must say, i have a little tomato eating munchkin myself....they are quick, hey!!! I can't believe you've got less than 5 weeks to go till your newbie is due!!! I must get cracking on that little project!!! hoping your well, and enjoying that relish at every opportunity!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yum Steph! I'm going to try that come summer when we have an abundance of tomatoes!

    That sounds like a winner recipe. Thanks for sharing the tomato love!

    x

    ReplyDelete

Your words brighten my day! Thank-you so much for joining me on my adventure. x