8 Jun 2011

Choccie Afghan Biscuits

As Jack Frost is beginning to show his icicle-y whiskers (yes, even in sunny Queensland!) we find ourselves retreating indoors after mornings in the gentle Winter sunshine.


Washing on the line, pottering in the vegie garden, train rides on the see saw to visit Daddy in the city for sushi (ah, imagination!)....


As soon as my babe's head hits the pillow for her afternoon kip, the kettle is on. My chilly hands yearn to cradle a mug of steamy tea (no dainty little cup is going to cut it!). And my taste buds want chocolate! Crispy, decadent afghan biscuits are just the ticket for overcast, snugly days.



Afghan Biscuits (courtesy of one of my fave cook books, Frankie magazine's Afternoon Tea)
Mixture:

200g softened butter

1/2 cup sugar

1 1/4 cups plain flour

1/4 cup cocoa (I put more because I'm greedy!)

2 cups cornflakes

1 cup walnuts, crushed

Icing:

1 block dark or cooking chocolate

walnut halves




Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.


Sift in flour and cocoa, and mix. Fold in the cornflakes and crushed walnut pieces until just mixed.

Line a baking tray with baking paper. Spoon mounds (as big or small as you like) onto tray. I squished mine into wonky balls first and then flattened a little. Bake for about 15 minutes until just set. Try not to dry them out too much, as it's already a crumbly biscuit.

When the bickies have cooled , ice each on with a generous dollop of chocolate and top with a walnut half.

Virtuously pop one or two on a plate to have with a cuppa.....and then tiptoe back to the tin for another few when you've gobbled them up!




8 comments:

  1. I can vouch for these.

    Thankyou my lovely friend for the soup and biscuit delivery. You are a treasure.

    I am going to have to pop a batch in the the over (although will have to hide them from le boy - he scoffed them and I was lucky to pry one from his gready hands)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yum we like making those too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look like they would take the chill away nicely, Steph!

    I love that cookbook too. I love everything that Frankie does. Not a day has gone by this year when I haven't lovingly stroked my Day Planner and just sighed a little. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh do you think you could send my husband a batch when he goes back to Afghanistan?? They look delicious!! Since my mother got Alzheimer's she doesn't bake for the soldiers anymore (well her favourite one). Now i'm hungry, nighty night, love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favourite biscuits ever! And I'm with you on the need for a mug of hot tea in the afternoon hush of naptime!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, they look delicious! My great aunt makes these but I have never been able to replicate them successfully. I shall try your recipe during the school holidays-thank you!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.
    PS Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks we made these last night and they were a hit with everyone. I substituted walnuts for almonds. Thanks Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello gorgeous! Just popping over from Mira Narnie... those biscuits look delicious! It's baking day tomorrow with my lads, and now I'm tossing up between Brenda's lemon slice, or these babies.

    What to do... what to do???

    ReplyDelete

Your words brighten my day! Thank-you so much for joining me on my adventure. x