22 Nov 2013

his quilt


He has five shells crammed into his fist and a hula hoop dragging behind him - on Monday he turns two. A vocabulary quite unimaginable to us pours from him throughout the day and he laughs often. It is not uncommon to see him clothed in a bright red tutu. Time has revealed his own special nature; one of affection, humour and gentleness, one of determination, and sometimes fire. And as he navigates his way and tests his toes in deeper waters I am trying my hardest to breathe it all in.

I spent many stolen moments of Bijou's early years longing for the time that came before. Squinting my eyes to see the baby face features that had since fined, wistfully thumbing through photo albums and willing my memory to recall all the tiny moments. But what with the whirlwind adventures of Kindy and the imminent arrival of "big school" next year I have been taken firmly by the hand and hauled along this growing up journey whether I like it or not. Surprisingly each chapter has yielded richer prose than the one before.

In an effort to embrace Remy's growth and change I am beginning his bed quilt. Although still happy slumbering in a cot with no sign of wanting to move, this gentle and slow creating will hopefully aid me in the letting go of the baby.  With each choice of cloth I will imbue this bed covering with all that he is. Raw linen and botanical prints for his love of the natural world, whimsical nautical images in honour of his bed time friend, and vintage trikes for his adventures.  Little snips of faded checkered shirts and his first pair of jeans will no doubt find there way amongst this eclectic yet meaningful collection.  As it grows I will hunt out sentimental prints and hues to marry it all together. And while I cut and pin and sew I will think of him. I will try to look back on his infancy not with sadness but with joy and I will daydream a life for this boy of mine. May he touch the stars.

Steph x

10 comments:

  1. A handmade quilt seems the perfect way to mark the transition into the 'big bed', Steph. I love that bike fabric. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is beautiful. I think a quilt with everything special about him and all patched together is a lovely idea....to grow with him, wrap him snuggly and keep him warm.

    You are full of so many wonderful and thoughtful ideas...you seem so present and so tenderhearted. I love visiting here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting. I love patchwork quilts, so much love goes into making them. The beginning stage, the choosing and arranging of fabrics is my favourite part!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful, I l love that you will stitch so much meaning into that quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the fabrics Steph! Learning how to quilt is on my (very long) list of crafty things to do x

    ReplyDelete
  6. it will be perfect, no doubt x

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a beautiful post, it is so hard to let them grow up, but we must, beautiful fabric, such a beautiful quilt it will be, bound with love,

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of making a special quilt for the big transition... so lovely. And how lovely to watch them grow. I love watching my four month old learn new things; like her hands, or that she likes to fly. Such an honour to guide them along isn't it? A lovely post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Steph, how wonderful, and what a magical idea, to create a quilt for your little boy. He sounds (and always looks) such a darling ~ a little enchanted that little boy of yours, one part faery magic : ) And I know just what you mean about leaving behind babyhood... I have (and on some days continue to do so) found it hard with Anaru... perhaps I too need to turn my hand to a quilt. Happy happy Birthday to your littlest love for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just beautiful... your fabrics you have selected and your words for your little man. I too am in the middle of making a quilt for my little one, a slow process but one I thoroughly enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete

Your words brighten my day! Thank-you so much for joining me on my adventure. x